Tuesday 21 August 2007

Things I'd do differently next time

Spend a bit more time beforehand looking into the Sustrans National cycle routes so that I knew where I'd be able to follow one of the routes. There are lots of NCR signs out there which indicate quiet roads but unless you know where e.g. route 91 goes from and to then you don't know whether to follow them.

Try to get a cycle computer that works even in the wet. The new Cateye Velo 8 I got in Carlisle gave up in the rain leaving Exeter on day 6. Fortunately I had a GPS as a backup to see how far I'd gone.

Suss out the GPS properly before hand. I'd borrowed a Garmin Forerunner 305 (thanks Andy) and I was hoping to download my route when I got home but it seems there was only room on the GPS for the last 2 days. Looks like I would have needed to download it every couple of days to have saved it all.

Take more pictures and video while I was riding along, the one video clip I took with a small digital camera in Scotland after Bettyhill was Ok. I guess it's not a good idea to do this except on the really quiet roads!!! I might have taken more pictures if the camera hadn't been wrapped up in plastic bag to keep it dry a lot of the time.

When the camera on Meg's phone stopped working I should have tried the obvious and turned it off and on! It seems Ok now.

Keep the phone charged every night, especially if I use it to listen to the radio. It ran out of juice on the last day which was a bit of a nuisance.

Think a bit more about what was going to happen at the end and what time I wanted to get there. With the wind and things I didn't get to LE until 18:13 which meant it was a bit of a rush to then get some food and drive back home to Swindon on a Sunday evening.

For maps I relied on pages torn out of an old road atlas and photocopies of OS Landranger Maps borrowed from the library for the more complicated bits like Glasgow and Lancashire. This worked well although next time I won't leave page 28 of the road atlas at home! Although this did give me a good excuse to stop at a petrol station near Ludlow and by some flapjack in return for studying their maps.

Next time I would try to update the blog as much as possible and get more photos on to it during the ride. When I got back home I was amazed at how many people had been looking at the blog during the week.

No comments: