Saturday 30 June 2007

Day 6 - A trip down memory Lane

About to go down to briefly meet Rog, and camp near Exeter, hopefully not in a flooded field! Haven't heard this morning how he's doing but he rang last night and was fine. He'd reached Welsh Bicknor for the night and was hoping to set off early this morning to try and avoid some of the rain! The plan is then to drive to pick him up at Lands End on Sunday, fingers crossed:)
Suzie

***************************************************************
And added later.....

Day 6 started badly when I left my watch in the bedroom after I got up and my roommate for the night had to come downstairs and find me when the 2nd alarm on it went off at 6:10, oops! I left Welsh Bicknor YHA, lovely location but a bit out of the way and accessed by a very bumpy path, at 7:10 by going over the temporarily "closed" bridge, (not me who moved the barriers honest!) my personal risk assessment decided it was acceptable for me and my bike! Going through the Forest of Dean didn't seem that great an idea at he time as the wind, rain and hills made it fairly slow going.
Got to Chepstow at 8:40
Stopped to pick up some bananas then carried on over old Severn Bridge on the cycle path and down through Severn Beach. Recognised the road leading to the old quay where I remembered we used to get the old ferry from to cross to Wales when the first bridge was still being built back in the late 60s.



Through Avonmouth and over the bridge to Pill where I lived from the age of 3 to 9.
Rode round the village a bit, past the creek and shops and then back up to our old house.


Then it was off on the back road to Clevedon that runs near the M5, a bit narrow and muddy on places but quiet. An all day breakfast in a Clevedon cafe where the staff were making the most of the last day of being allowed to smoke on the premises. The new smoking laws were coming in to force the next day on July 1st. Next off to my birthplace, Bridgwater, joining the A38 at Brent Knoll. NO SMELL these days as you approach Bridgwater, I've just discovered on Wikipedia that the cellophane factory closed in 2005. Kept going through Bridgwater as I wanted to get to Taunton for a stop. The A38 was very busy around here, lots of holiday traffic, Suzy said later she thought there had been a problem on the M5.

Found a cafe eventually in Taunton for some coffee and cake then diverted off the A38 to visit the churchyard in nearby Trull. Joan was my Aunty, it was sad that she wasn't still here to hear about my trip, I'm sure she would have been really interested. A shame the anti smoking laws didn't come in 50 years ago.



Stopped just up the road to take a picture of the cottage Joan lived in.

I fell off my bike here on the slippery drive opposite, luckily I was doing 0mph at the time! The front wheel just went sideways as I stopped on the damp mouldy paving stones.



Onwards then to Cullompton where I had my Scottish money refused in the co-op so had to pay by card before then stopping on the bridge over the M5 for a few minutes and seeing Suzie and the girls pass by underneath. Through Exeter and up the hilly B3212 to Moretonhampstead where the family had a tent waiting for me. It was a relief to have got a bit of Dartmoor behind me.
A long day in to the wind and rain, although at least it was warm, 135 miles 12.25 hours elapsed time with about 10.25 hours in the saddle. Average speed approx 13mph new cycle computer packed up just after Exeter!
A lovely meal at a Cafe/Restaurant in the centre of town on the right just before the crossroads as you come from Exeter.
Roger

3 comments:

kyliedude said...

What a grotty day - wind, rain, wind, rain! Hang in there Rog - you've almost done it!!!

Peter Turner said...

Hey Rog, I was only looking for your phone number and discovered you were in the middle of an adventure! Excellent. I understand the weather's been a bit rough. Good luck with the last few miles. See you in a few weeks.

Unknown said...

Nice one Rog, the final push through Devon and Cornwall to go! The fact it's the last day should get you through it. Don't let the 'official photographer' rip you off at the sign post in Lands End although if your phone camera is broken you may have to bite the bullet. Good Luck!!!!!